Here Are A Few Things To Remember During The Years Of Retainer Wear
1. Wear your retainers as prescribed by Dr. Wentz.
2. The safest place for your retainer is in your mouth. When retainers are not in your mouth, ALWAYS keep them in your retainer case.
3. Do not wrap retainers in a paper towel or napkin, this is the easiest way to lose them.
4. Do not place loose retainers in your pocket, this is the easiest way to break them.
5. Keep retainers away from pets — dogs LOVE them.
6. Clean your retainers by brushing them with toothpaste and water or with antibacterial soap. NEVER soak your retainers, this causes them to rust and/or break. Be sure to brush your teeth without your retainers in. Do not boil your retainer or put it in hot water.
7. Do not place retainers in the dishwasher, microwave or in boiling water — they will melt or warp.
8. Your lower retainer may be a fixed retainer bonded onto your teeth. It is not considered permanent and can be broken or detached from your teeth, if you are not careful with it.
9. Bring your retainers to your check-up appointment. If anything happens to your retainers (i.e. it doesn't fit, it's broken, or it's lost) please call us ASAP. If your lower bonded retainer wire comes out, keep it and bring it in at your next appointment for rebonding.
10. The first set of retainers is included in your treatment fee. Any repair, replacement of your retainer, or rebonding of your lower retainer will be additional and charged to your account.
The benefits of orthodontic treatment will last a lifetime if you keep these important patient responsibilities in mind. If you have any further questions regarding retention contact Wentz Orthodontics at your earliest convenience.