Did you know May was National Physical Fitness & Sports Month?
According to the President’s Council on Fitness Sports and Nutrition, studies have shown that active kids do better! While it’s great to see our youth outside and active when the weather is nice, they alsoneed physical education and activity year-round. It’s a fact that children can be motivated by their parents, so why not get the whole family involved?
Here are a few ideas to get your family moving: (source: letsmove.gov)
- Play tag, swim, toss a ball, jump rope, hula-hoop, dance to music or even play a dancing video game. It doesn’t have to be sports—just get your family moving!
- Walk the dog, go for a jog, go on a bike ride, take the stairs or head to the park and let kids run around for a while.
- Celebrate special occasions—like birthdays or anniversaries—with something active, such as a hike, a volleyball or soccer game or playing Frisbee at the park.
- Get the whole family involved in household chores like cleaning, vacuuming, and yard work.
- Walk instead of drive whenever you can. If you have to drive, find a spot at the far end of the parking lot and walk to where you’re going.
- Park farther away and count with your children the number of steps from the car to your destination. Write it down and see if you can park even farther away on your next stop.
- Train as a family for a charity walk or run.
We continue to encourage great overall health for all of our patients. Share with us on Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) what your currently doing or what do you plan on doing as a family to stay active!